Sunday, November 28, 2010

13

I was thinking about what my life was like as a thirteen year old.  I was in eighth grade, played volleyball and basketball - and I think I ran track that year.  I wasn't stellar at any of those sports; which kind of sums up my athletic career - I was usually just good enough to maybe start.  In fact, I think I'm the poster child for 6th man.  Anyway... my school efforts at that time were fairly unremarkable too.  I did okay.  But I really wanted to be remarkable at something, anything really.

I remember feeling a little power hungry.  I had noticed that you could get some version of attention by flirting and acting girly.  I wasn't sure how I felt about that, it takes awhile to figure that one out doesn't it?  I remember people noticing if I wore mascara or dressed up.  This was the year I learned a bit about sexual harassment.  Rick Robinson beat up Trevor James for me because he was always bugging me in gym class.  Then Rick apologized because he knew I didn't like fights.  He was always such a nice guy.  I ran into him at my Ten Year Reunion and he was still super nice.

I remember trying hard at a few things.  I went to seminary that year.  My Mom taught a religious class before school everyday and I got up and went to it with a bunch of really great high school students.  My attendance caused a bit of a ruckus and some adults were not happy about my participation.  These same adults were not happy with my behavior at girls camp earlier that summer either.  They shouldn't have been.  I was gossiping and liked the attention, but didn't realize the ramifications of my big exaggerating mouth.  My relationship with these people's parents didn't improve for years.  It was weird having them think I was a bad person, or at least that's how I felt.  

There was also the volleyball party incident.  I still don't understand this one.  My friends and teammates all got together and had a party, didn't invite me, and used it as an excuse to prank call me multiple times.  These kids were my friends, and they were still my friends the Monday after the party.  I guess everybody has to figure out how their actions effected others, and this time I was on the receiving end.  I remember going to a different teammate party and watching Candyman.  It's Rated R, I wasn't allowed to watch Rated R movies at the time.  I sat on the side of the room and tried not to watch.  I went to fewer and fewer general parties as I grew up. I learned who's house it was basically safe to go to, and whose wasn't.  Even those safe houses weren't as safe as I would like.

I remember a few disagreements I had with my parents.  When I thought I knew what they were saying, but clearly didn't when my actions landed me in trouble.  I don't think I was ever out to do bad things, I just didn't see them coming sometimes.  Ugh.  13.

Some good things; I turned in a kid who brought a gun to school - even though I was scared out of my mind.  I turned myself in when I cheated on some German homework, Frau File always liked me I think.  There was a nice old man who would substitute for our grade.  He called me angel hair - he was the kind of sweet I had never really seen in real life.  I did well in science and history that year.  It might have been that year that a drawing I did won an award.  I became famous for "Baseline Andrea, Baseline".  My Dad would coach me from the sidelines at basketball games.  In fact we had a play my coach called Cougar - in honor of my love for BYU.  I had a good year, but there were times when I am sure my parents were ready to pull their hair out.

13, rough but necessary.

6 comments:

Emily said...

I wish I had known you then. I think it's awesome that you went to seminary a year early. Why would other people be bothered by that? I hope my kids never have to be 13. :)

I hated being 13. I wanted to be a teenager so bad and then it came and life still sucked. I hated it.

happyfamily said...

13 is really vague to me..
Actually, after I write that, the memories are flooding back. Fodder for ballet park discussion, I suppose.

Natalie Abbott said...

I wonder what brought these thoughts on. I think I have an idea....

Unknown said...

It's funny how some things are so universal. Even though we grew up an ocean and lots of land apart, I feel like I could have been writing so much of this. Sometimes I get embarrased about what it took me to get here in my life...but then I realize I wouldn't be me without it :) Thanks for sharing! Love you all :)

BECKY said...

I think about me at that age and worry for when my kids turn that age.

Fun memories. I always love reading your posts. They're so well-written.

School-Home Connection said...

Well, I didn't know you when you were 13, but I did at 14 - that's close enough - and I think you were pretty awesome! Thanks for being a friend to me when I first moved to Ohio, even though I was dorky, awkward, naive, blah, blah, blah. It meant a lot to have someone like you to hang out with! What was that movie we watched at your house and paused it on that boy? We sure had some fun times - holy schmoly gaucamole!!
Love your family pics - your little guy is so handsome! Do you love having a boy? I bet it's a huge change from your girls!